Healthwork Alert 45 - Seasonal Flu Vaccinations 2017
Influenza, i.e. the flu, is a virus that can be found in humans. The viruses that cause this illness are highly adaptable and are able to change and adapt regularly to combat changes in medicines and vaccines. Therefore, unlike many diseases, vaccines are often brought out on an annual basis to combat the ‘flu’.
The virus itself is highly contagious and spread by droplets that are produced when a person coughs or sneezes. In most cases, where the infected individual was previously healthy, the illness tends to spontaneously recover within 1-2 weeks although individuals can be very unwell during the course of the infection.
The infection can be caught at work, with a resultant loss in workforce productivity secondary to increased sickness-absence within the workforce compounded by the high infectiveness of these viruses and the chance of onward transmission of the illness to fellow work colleagues. Even in previously well individuals, the symptoms of the illness can be substantial with fever, headaches, widespread joint and muscle pain, and can be complicated by the development of further infections such as pneumonia.
In the workplace, individuals who work in more front-line roles dealing directly with other clients or members of the public are naturally at increased risk of catching these illnesses.
There are few contra-indications to the flu vaccine and certain groups are particularly encouraged to have the vaccine. These include people with:
- Chronic (long-term) respiratory diseases, such as asthma(which requires an inhaled or tablet steroid treatment, or has led to hospital admission in the past), chronic obstructive pulmonary disease(COPD), emphysema or bronchitis
- Chronic heart disease, such as heart failure
- Chronic kidney disease
- Chronic liver disease, such as hepatitis
- Chronic neurological conditions, such as Parkinsons disease, motor neurone disease or multiple sclerosis(MS)
- A weakened immune system
- Women who are pregnant
Healthwork is able to provide a comprehensive range of immunisation services including providing vaccinations for seasonal influenza. Our trained nurses can provide these services either on-site or at our own premises for employees.
To book in flu vaccinations at our offices or to book in days for on-site Healthwork nurse visits please contact us on 0161 831 9701
- Healthwork are proud to announce that we are now able to offer Aviation medicals for private pilots and cabin crew
- Healthwork Alert - Number 55 NEW State of the art MRI scanning and imaging facilities
- NEW Healthy Back ProgrammeTM
- HAVS Courses 21st - 22nd June 2018
- New Service – Aviation Medicals
- New Liverpool Office
- Dates Announced for Spring 2018 Courses - Case Management, Report Writing and Chester Step Test Courses All Available to Book Now.
- Australian flu
- Health Promotion Activities - Alcohol Awareness
- Alcohol Awareness Week